[DCRM-L] RE: Reconsidering digraphs

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:49:57 MST 2005

But not all diphthongs have traditionally been expressed as digraphs--at
least "ae" and "oe" certainly don't give the full range of diphthongs
available--Latin, for instance, also has au, ei, eu, and ui, none of
which are commonly printed as digraphs. So at least in the case of Latin
I would think "ae" and "oe" ligatures are simply customary, and
therefore form, not content.

In French, "oe" is not a diphthong, but represents a particular vowel
sound. (I can't think of any cases where "ae" in French is pronounced as
a single syllabe--it's usually pronounced as two syllables, as in
"aerodrome".) In an diphthong, both vowels are in fact pronounced, but
in a single syllable. But there are plenty of vowel combinations in
French that represent particular vowel sounds--"ou", "eu", "ai", "eau",
and perhaps others. So in these cases, too, "oe" is by custom given with
a ligature; none of the others are customarily connected. To me, that
says form, not content.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602