[DCRM-L] Reconsidering digraphs

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Feb 23 11:56:10 MST 2005

But "conventionalize only when you have to" is not our working
principle. We certainly don't have to conventionalize when it comes to
IJUV, for instance--our systems are perfectly capable of reproducing
exactly the letter forms on the page. For that matter, we don't have to
conventionalize when it comes to changing uppercase to lower. Or
applying capitalization rules once we've changed uppercase to lower. Or
applying punctuation conventions. We don't have to conventionalize when
it comes to transposing parts of the description. There are plenty of
places where we conventionalize even though we don't have to. What makes
this particular case special?

As for other issues that have come up, I'd hate to see our rule hang on
what LCRI happens to say just now (the why should we be "less" faithful
to the original than LC is for 20th century French materials argument)
or dependent on what MARC happens to allow. I'd prefer a more principled
approach. One principle in our transcription seems to be "we separate
ligatures." As far as I can see no one has argued, except in some
Scandinavian languages, that these particular letter combinations are
anything other than ligatures. We don't attempt to transcribe
"faithfully" other ligatures. Why these particular ones? On the other
hand, if the rule is crafted to distinguish between languages where the
form is actually a separate letter (assuming this is really the case)
and other languages where it is nothing more than a ligature, do we
really want catalogers attempting to figure out which it is?

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602