[DCRM-L] Glossary Terms

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Jan 11 13:06:44 MST 2005

Whoa! "Free of printing errors! In that case, there's hardly a perfect book to be found!

Elizabeth is, of course, dead right: a "perfect copy" (if indeed the term is a desirable one) should be understood to mean a copy that conforms to the standard for the issue--what the bibliographers call "ideal copy". This may comprise a range of variant states that may well represent errors in printing (corrected and uncorrected states are quite common--e.g. in the Shakespeare First Folio). Beyond this a book in hand may exhibit anomalies that constitute imperfections, but in the main these will be copy-specific, though one might posit failures of quality control--mutlitple "bad" copies.

So, it should be defined as something like "A copy free of imperfections by which it would fail to conform to the standard for ideal copy"--an imperfection being anything that would require a copy-specific note to explain how the book doesn't conform to the ideal copy description that underlies a "descriptive" record in a catalogue or bibliography.

The terms "perfect" and "ideal" unfortunately mislead some people into the mistaken notion that we are measuring the book against a putative "perfect book", free of the faults of manufacture that are par for the course in printed books, especially older ones--what the printer ought to have printed but mostly didn't. It's a descriptive standard that we're concerned with, not a prescriptive one. It's not always easy to get this idea across.

Richard