[DCRM-L] Two comments on the delta draft

Tue Jan 11 12:47:36 MST 2005

Thanks to David for his suggestion on 0F3. When we were dealing with
source punctuation, we knew we needed to separate our understanding and
treatment of incidental punctuation from punctuation integral to a word.
His wording suggestion does make that much more clear.

________________________
Deborah J. Leslie
Folger Library
djleslie at folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of David Woodruff
Sent: Monday, 10 January, 2005 20:23
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] Two comments on the delta draft

0F3. "When a word is divided between the end of one line and the
beginning of the next, with or without a hyphen, transcribe it as a
single word ignoring the line-break. If the function of the hyphen is in
doubt, transcribe it." I think it would help to specify the hyphen's
alternative function, rather than leaving it to be inferred. So perhaps
in place of the last sentence: However, transcribe a hyphen at the end
of a line if it joins parts of a compound word that would be hyphenated
if printed on a single line, or if the function of the hyphen is in
doubt.