[DCRM-L] Glossary Terms

Rettberg, Dan drettberg at huc.edu
Wed Jan 12 12:43:50 MST 2005

Leslie--

For the most part, I agree with you. These are the sorts of distinctions
which my cataloging teachers emphasized, and which have informed my own
cataloging. However, I can't help wondering how practical it is to attempt
to distinguish between  an "ideal copy" and a "perfect copy". Such a
distinction may work for modern "firsts", but having cataloged a lot of
them, I can't help wondering what, for example would be the "perfect copy"
of a 1520's Reformation polemical tract? The number of variants between
pieces which otherwise appeared to have been issued by the same printer at
the same time often amazed me.

Dan Rettberg
Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer
Klau Library
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati, Ohio

drettberg at huc.edu