[DCRM-L] Glossary Terms: Perfect/Imperfect

Stephen Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 12 16:44:24 MST 2005

"Perfect" and "Imperfect" gave Nina, Randy, and me plenty of trouble when
we worked on these terms.

The major concern with our draft definition of "perfect copy," as I
understand it, is that "free of errors in printing" goes too far: most
published matter has "errors in printing."  I can agree with that.  But I
don't think we can simply drop the phrase and have an adequate
definition.  And I don't think imperfections occur only after publication.

In DCRM(B), the word "imperfect" (with variants "imperfection" and
"imperfections") is used repeatedly; the word "perfect" is used only
once.  In the text proper (that is, outside the appendices), "imperfect"
refers pretty much exclusively to incompleteness (0B2, 5B12) --
specifically, incompleteness that could interfere with the creation of an
accurate, complete description of the manifestation.  The draft glossary
definition for "imperfect copy" reflects this.

The draft glossary definition for "perfect copy" went a bit further,
because in its sole appearance in DCRM(B) the term references, essentially,
a copy of the manifestation that provides information sufficient for the
preparation of a complete and adequate description.

In my experience, most, but not all, imperfections occur after books leave
the printer's/publisher's hands. If on a given copy the second author's
name, or the printing date, is utterly illegible not because the page is
torn but, say, due to overinking or to missing characters, the cataloger is
expected to supply the second author's name or printing date, without
brackets, if its presentation on other, "perfect" copies can be reliably
determined.  For purposes of 0B2 -- the only occurrence of the word
"perfect" in DCRM(B) -- our definition must be about more than the folding
and order of sheets. It is clearly about the presence (and legibility) of
information.

A complete absence of printing errors is not what we require for
cataloging.  We do require legibility sufficient to create an adequate
description. Most of what we catalog is real books. Some of what we catalog
is pretty flimsy: people will use DCRM(B) to catalog very poorly produced
material that left the printing press in barely legible form.  0B2,
happily, does not refer specifically to tears or missing leaves or other
post-production mishaps. It's about missing information.

I think we can adjust the definition of "perfect" slightly to remove the
word "printing" and replace it with something about legibility, like this:

Perfect copy. A copy of a publication that is known to be physically
complete and arranged in the exact order as intended to be issued. Free of
errors in printing and folding. Applies to the physical structure of a book
and to the completeness and legibility of its contents.

Stephen
P.S. Pack your long johns. The forecast for Boston for Saturday through
Monday is temps barely hitting 30, with lows in the teens. Sorry everyone.