[DCRM-L] DCRM rev. - Obj & Principles, idea #2

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 12 17:04:42 MST 2005

Hi, everyone,

A few days ago I sent a message about the principles statement asking that
it be broadened to cover all materials. That message was supported by the
DCRM(M) Task Group.  Today my message is about another piece of terminology
that I’d like to suggest be changed.  However, it should be noted that the
following opinion is mine alone.

The other change I would make in the principles statement has to do with
using the term “general cataloging” to describe “modern-day cataloging”--as
opposed to “rare materials cataloging”.  My first reaction to the
construction was positive: it seemed to be a new way of describing this
contrast and I hoped for a while that the terminology problem had been
settled.  But further thinking about it has caused me to change my mind.
For many reasons, I believe the term “general” does not work for this
construction.  To begin with, in reading through the statement, I believe
the word has insufficient energy for the purposes, and is further diluted
by the fact that it is used often in other contexts within the statement.
But even more importantly, it does not really capture the situation between
these two broad aspects of cataloging.  Since I believe that capturing the
situation correctly is crucial to our statement, I have thought very
carefully about this.

As we all know, the entire reason we have to put together our rules is
because of fundamental differences between the two broad sets of materials.
But what is the heart of those differences?  As I have thought about it, I
believe it comes down to the concept of “currency”.  When you think about
it, when undertaking revision or updates, most cataloging codes target
currently-produced materials.  In doing so, they make every attempt to
comprehend future trends, in order to retain the ability of these codes to
address the “currency” of incoming materials for as long as possible. So,
as those codes have been updated, they have taken into account the
increasing amount of standards applied to the composition of published
materials (e.g., common practices in the layout of information [t.p. and
t.p. verso content, production details, etc.], associated numbers [ISBDs,
ISSNs, music publisher numbers, etc.] and so on).  They also try to take
into account most of the vagaries from those standards, but do so only in
the context of very recent or current production applications, not much
earlier production.  The “use-by date” of any latest version of a
cataloging code is approximately a century.  Of course, the actual
“currency” changes all the time (is a moving target, if you will). Still,
it is most often the case that the somewhat older materials found in
“regular-flow” cataloging backlogs can also still be fairly easily
described by the updated (current) codes.

On the other hand, as these production standards become increasingly
applied to more recent materials, there is a whole history of material
where, certainly, standards existed, but they changed from
publisher/printer to publisher/printer; they were not as uniformly applied
as they are currently.  So the gap widens and continues to widen.  Our
rules are trying to explain the past and do their best to cross the breech
(description-wise, anyway).

Therefore, to my mind, the operative concept is “current”, but it is not so
easy to apply it and have it make sense.  Part of the problem is trying to
make a quick construction, with an adjective in front of “cataloging”, but
there are problems with the meaning of “modern cataloging”, “current
cataloging”, “general cataloging”, etc.  So, instead of “adjective/noun”
formulation, it may be necessary to use longer phrases. To me, the overall
concept of “cataloging of current materials” really seems appropriate and
isn’t that much more clunky to construct.

The following re-edit of the rules is my attempt at changing that
terminology, just so everyone can see how it might look. This re-edit also
incorporates the edits (“materials” for “monographs”) I was advocating in
my last message.  Also, it turns out I could not resist making some rather
big changes to one paragraph (it’s number 4, but I can’t remember if it’s
the first or second “4”; I'm not asking for approval for that one [yet],
just letting you know why it is fairly different from the delta draft).
					--Jain

OBJECTIVES AND PRINCIPLES

The instructions contained in Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials are
formulated according to the objectives and principles set forth below.
These objectives and principles seek to articulate the purpose and nature
of specialized cataloging rules for rare materials. They are informed by
long-accepted concepts of traditional bibliographic scholarship as well as
by more recent theoretical work that has proven fundamental to the
construction and revision of cataloging codes, namely the International
Federation of Library Associations and Institutions’ Functional
Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) and Elaine Svenonius’s The
Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization. They assume an equal
familiarity with FRBR terms used to categorize entities that are the
products of intellectual or artistic endeavor (work, expression,
manifestation, and item) and bibliographic terms used to differentiate
among textual variants (e.g., edition, issue, impression, and state). It is
hoped that these objectives and principles will provide catalogers, and
administrators of cataloging operations, with a better understanding of the
underlying rationale for DCRM instructions, especially when these deviate
from the instructions contained in the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules
(AACR2).

Objectives of DCRM

The primary objectives that apply to the cataloging of rare materials are
no different than the primary objectives of the cataloging of current
materials. FRBR identifies those objectives as meeting user requirements to
find, identify, select, and obtain materials. However, users of rare
materials will often bring specialized needs to these tasks that cannot be
met by the cataloging rules for current materials. In addition, rare
materials may not conform to the assumptions of standard production
practices that lie behind the rules for the cataloging of current
materials. The following DCRM objectives are intended to account for these
important differences.

1) Users shall be able to distinguish clearly among different
manifestations of an expression or work.
	The ability to distinguish among different manifestations of an expression
or work is critical to the user tasks of identifying and selecting
bibliographic resources. Cataloging practice for current material assumes
that reliance on abbreviated and normalized transcription methods is
sufficient to distinguish among manifestations. However, users of rare
material tend to require fuller and more faithful transcriptions,
especially in the publication, distribution, etc., area, in order to
distinguish among manifestations. Additionally, the provision of greater
detail in the physical description area and the careful description of
various anomalies in the note area may be critical to the task of
identifying separate manifestations. These practices will also contribute
to the ability of users to distinguish among exemplars at the item level,
allowing the identification and comparison of variant printings, states,
and copies as needed.

2) Users shall be able to perform most identification and selection tasks
independently of direct access to the materials.
	Users of rare materials frequently perform identification and selection
tasks under circumstances that require the bibliographic description to
stand as a detailed surrogate for the item (e.g., consultation from a
distance, limited access due to the fragile condition of item, inability to
physically browse collections housed in restricted areas). Accuracy of
bibliographic representation increases subsequent efficiency for both users
and collection managers. The same accuracy contributes to the long-term
preservation of the materials themselves, e.g., by reducing unnecessary
circulation of materials that do not specifically meet the user’s
requirements.

3) Users shall be able to investigate physical processes and
post-production history and context exemplified in materials described.
	Users of rare materials routinely investigate a variety of artifactual and
post-production intellectual aspects of materials. For example, they will
attempt to locate materials that are related by printing methods,
illustrative processes, binding styles and structures, provenance, form and
genre, etc. The ability of users to identify the materials that fit these
criteria depends upon full and accurate descriptions and the provision of
corresponding access points.

4) Users shall be able to access materials whose production or presentation
characteristics deviate from modern conventions.
	Cataloging codes that address current material routinely distinguish among
manifestations through reliance on explicit bibliographic information
presented in conventional form (e.g., a formal edition statement on the
title page or its verso). In rare materials, such explicit information is
often lacking; furthermore, there is often insufficient evidence to
distinguish among different manifestations. Since cataloging codes for
current materials do not sufficiently address these important
distinguishing aspects, constructing descriptions for rare materials
according to current codes do not meet its user needs in this area.

Principles for Construction of DCRM

To meet the objectives listed above, DCRM relies upon the following six
principles. These principles were influenced by the general principles of
bibliographic description offered by Svenonius: the principle of user
convenience (with the sub-principle of common usage), the principle of
representation (with the sub-principle of accuracy), the principle of
sufficiency and necessity (with the sub-principle of significance), the
principle of standardization, and the principle of integration.

1) Rules shall provide guidance for descriptions that allow users to
distinguish clearly among different manifestations of an expression or work.
	This relates to user objective 1 stated above. It derives particularly
from the general principle of user convenience and has implications for all
areas of the bibliographic description. The principle enables
distinguishing among items as well as manifestations.

2) Rules shall provide for accurate representations of the entity as it
describes itself, notably through instructions regarding transcription,
transposition, and omission.
	This relates to user objectives 2 and 4 stated above. It derives
particularly from the general principles of representation (with its
related sub-principle of accuracy) and of standardization. Precise
representation is of particular relevance in those areas of the description
that require transcription (the title and statement of responsibility area,
the edition area, the publication, distribution, etc., area, and the series
area), but should not be ignored in the physical description and note
areas. The general principles of representation and standardization stand
in greater tension with each other when cataloging rare materials.
Faithfulness to both principles may require descriptive and annotative
treatment necessarily exceeding the norms (and at times the vocabulary)
established as sufficient for the description of current materials.

3) Rules shall provide guidance for the inclusion of manifestation-specific
and item-specific information that permits users to investigate physical
processes and post-production history and context exemplified in the item
described.
	This relates to user objective 3 stated above. It derives particularly
from the general principles of sufficiency and necessity and the related
sub-principle of significance. Application of the principle requires that
rules for rare materials cataloging provide additional guidance on access
points, particularly in cases where such information is not integral to the
manifestation, expression, or work described. Rules for item-specific
information appearing in the note area may prescribe standard forms for
presentation of information (addressing general principles of user
convenience and common usage). Application of such rules presumes both a
user’s need for such information and a cataloger’s ability to properly
describe such aspects.

4) Rules shall provide for the inclusion of all elements of bibliographical
significance.
	This principle is related to all of the user objectives stated above.
Cataloging rules for current materials routinely strive for both brevity
and clarity, principles affiliated with the general principle of
sufficiency. In describing rare materials however, too great an emphasis on
brevity may become the occasion for insufficiency and lack of clarity. In
cataloging rare materials, brevity of description may be measured best
against the functional requirements of the particular bibliographic
description rather than against the average physical length of other
bibliographic descriptions in the catalog. The tension between rules for
rare materials that promote accurate representation of an item and yet do
not exceed the requirements of sufficiency is great. Reference to the
principle of user convenience may offer correct resolution of such tensions.

5) Rules shall conform to the structure and language of the latest revision
of AACR2 to the extent possible; ISBD(A) shall serve as a secondary
reference point.
	This principle relates to general principles of standardization and user
convenience (with the latter’s sub-principle of common usage). DCRM assumes
that users of cataloging descriptions constructed in accordance to its
provisions also operate in contexts where AACR2 is a norm for the
cataloging of current materials. In addition, the cataloging community
within which DCRM has been developed has a strong association with AACR2 as
interpreted and applied by the Library of Congress. DCRM uses existing
AACR2 vocabulary in a manner consistent with AACR2; use of any additional
or specialized vocabulary necessary for description and access of rare
materials will occur in a clear and consistent manner in DCRM rules,
appendices, and glossaries. DCRM does not introduce rules that are not
required by differences expected between rare and current materials.
Numbering of areas within DCRM conforms to the structure of ISBD as
implemented in AACR2. When an existing AACR2 rule satisfies the
requirements of cataloging rare materials, DCRM text is modeled on AACR2
text (revising examples as useful for illustration). In cases where the
language of AACR2 is not precise enough to cover necessary distinctions or
may introduce confusion when dealing with rare materials, DCRM uses
carefully-considered alternate wording. Wording of relevant ISBD(A)
standards will also be considered when deviating from AACR2. However,
ISBD(A) is a standard rather than a cataloging code; AACR2, as a cataloging
code, will inevitably provide closer models for rule formulation.

6) Rules shall be compatible with DCRB except in cases where changes are
necessary to align more closely to current revisions of AACR2 or to conform
to the above principles.
	This principle also relates to general principles of both standardization
and user convenience (with the latter’s sub-principle of common usage).
Changes to prior DCRB cataloging practices should be made only after
careful consideration of the value or necessity of such changes.

Jain Fletcher
Head, Collections & Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA   90095-1575