[DCRM-L] RE: concept of chief title

Mon Jan 31 09:30:11 MST 2005

Folger Library
djleslie at folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu]
On Behalf Of Joe Springer
	Sent: Thursday, 27 January, 2005 14:37
	To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
	Subject: [DCRM-L] RE: concept of chief title

	At Boston's meeting of the Bibliographic Standards Committee, I
offered to look into and report on the history of the term "chief
title".  Those uninterested in such an arcane topic may delete this
message!

	"Chief title. The distinguishing word or sequence of words that
names a publication, as given on the title page (or substitute). This
definition excludes alternative titles, parallel titles, other title
information, and subsidiary title information preceding the chief title
on the title page, such exclusion resulting usually in a short title.
See also Title proper."

	The above definition of "chief title" found in the DCRM(B) delta
draft is one that follows verbatim the definition given in the glossary
of LC's 1981 Bibliographic Description of Rare Books.  The cross
reference "See also Title proper." was the only addition made in the
BDRB revision process that led to Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Books
(1991).

	BDRB is the first place I have located that makes this
distinction between "Title proper" and "Chief title" (essentially being
the title proper minus alternative title).  LC's Ben Tucker and his
staff developed BDRB "in-house" and Tucker did tend to be concerned
about lengthy title transcriptions.  Lest we forget (or never knew) it
was the 1978 appearance of AACR2 that first brought the ISBD term "title
proper" to the desktops of North American catalogers.  Not long before
BDRB, catalogers would have routinely worked with a concept not unlike
our "Chief title."  The 1967 Anglo-American Cataloging Rules ("blue
book" or AACR1) offered a secondary definition of title ("in the narrow
sense"):  "the name of a work, exclusive of any alternative title,
subtitle, or other associated descriptive matter on the title page."

	ISBD(A) texts since at least 1978 (pre-BDRB) follow other ISBDs
in using the wording "chief title" in their definition of "Title proper"
("Title proper: The chief title of a publication, i.e. the title of a
publication in the form in which it appears on the title-page of the
title-page substitute.  The title proper includes any alternative title
but excludes parallel titles and other title information.  &.")  I find
the decision by Tucker and his staff to crib that wording and turn it
into a distinct concept really rather clever.  It avoided the necessity
of inventing yet another adjective to qualify "title." Especially back
when the memory of AACR1 was still strong, one could even almost think
that all along ISBDs had envisioned title proper to be chief title +
alternative title!

	Joe A. Springer, Curator
	Mennonite Historical Library
	Goshen College 1700 S. Main St.