[DCRM-L] Simplification of AACR2 ch. 21

Rettberg, Dan drettberg at huc.edu
Thu Jul 7 15:01:29 MDT 2005

As one who has catalogued quite a few of the pre-1801 disputations, I find
the rule as it stands both essential and helpful. Most of these do have a
praeses and a respondent, both clearly listed on the t.p. (although not
always). I thought the purpose of cataloging was to provide as many points
of access as possible, so as to make the piece easily accessible. Also,
listing both facilitates research into the scholarship of individual
European scholars. More than a few of these names are listed in the standard
bio-bibliographies, and are not particularly difficult to access.

Dan Rettberg
Rare Book and Manuscript Bibliographer
Klau Library
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati, Ohio

drettberg at huc.edu <mailto:drettberg at huc.edu>