[DCRM-L] Simplification of AACR2 ch. 21

Lenore Rouse rouse at cua.edu
Fri Jul 8 08:21:03 MDT 2005

As Richard noted, "if proper assignment of an authorial heading matters
... the rule needs to stay." If we are satisfied with simply providing
access the general rule would suffice; main entry under first named with
added entries for the rest would do. Personally, unless there is
compelling reason to diverge from past practice, I would favor retaining
the rule if only for the sake of consistency (not to mention the
evidence of  Bob's investigations). Also, if that footnote "do not
accept the designation auctor...without further evidence" could be
amplified or explained a bit, instead of merely referring the user to
those 19th c. articles that are inaccessible to many users, the rule
might be more helpful.

Lenore
--

Lenore M. Rouse
Curator, Rare Books & Special Collections

PHONE: 202 319-5090
FAX: 202 319-4735
E-MAIL: rouse at cua.edu