[DCRM-L] Simplification of AACR2 ch. 21

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Thu Jul 7 17:08:37 MDT 2005

If proper assignment of an authorial heading matters, then the rule needs to stay. Dissertation titles are complex--I'm not sure how simple the rule can be made without oversimplifying. The relationships expressed in the title pages of dissertations need to be explained, since they're not self-evident and require some knowledge of archaic academic practice.

There's a footnote to the rule, to a C19 work on cataloguing (author title not available to me at the moment) that includes a very wise chapter on this problem--the irony being that AACR didn't follow him. He says treat the respondent as author (responsible for intellectual content), not the praeses, unless there's good evidence to the contrary. It's the generally the respondent who's being examined, and whose work is being presented, though there are cases when the student is just a mouthpiece for his praesidential guru. AACR defaults to the praeses. [But then there are other rather odd rules--like the one that has us putting The Beggar's Opera under Pepusch (the musical arranger) rather than Gay (the author)].

Most cataloguers would need some guidance. Some books are hard. There are some among us who may be better acquainted with how this all works (e.g. Larry Creider?).

Richard