[DCRM-L] Simplification of AACR2 ch. 21

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Jul 7 18:10:17 MDT 2005

I did a little comparison of several examples of these in the BYU
collection and discovered a number of examples where the contents of the
book were identical but the title pages were different--the praeses
remained the same on these title pages, but the respondent and the date
and time of examination changed between the title pages. Which suggests
to me that the praeses probably *was* the author and the respondent (at
least in these cases) was supposed to respond (!) to the thing the
praeses had written. But no, it is not at all clear if you aren't
familiar with these and don't have a bunch to compare that the praeses
is in fact the author, especially is the cataloger is thinking of modern
practice of thesis examination. So I, too, agree that at least something
needs to remain in the rules about choice of entry.

I recently did a SACO proposal, by the way, not yet approved, for
"Academic disputations", to cover these and distinguish them from
"Academic dissertations". If anyone's interested, the proposed is
sh2005001106, and can be viewed at authorities.loc.gov, searching under
subject.

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602