[DCRM-L] Simplification of AACR2 ch. 21

lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Sun Jul 10 14:44:36 MDT 2005

I'm sorry to jump in on this so late.  I was on vacation when the topic came up
and got back last night.  I'm writing from home, so please pardon any citation
errors.  I think the rule Bob asked about is necessary in order to fulfill the
basic principle that a work is to be entered under the person primarily
responsible for the intellectual contents.  Even in a set of rules that shy
away from the notion of main entry or uniform title, the problem of identifying
a work remains.  In our tradition, that means attaching the work to a name when
one person is basically responsible for the work.  I suppose it would be
possible to identify these works by title only, but I would really hate to see
that happen.  Differentiating them would be very difficult, and the titles can
be very long.

The determination of who is responsible for the intellectual content of the
work is complicated in these early dissertations and disputations.  The
situation is often the reverse of modern practice where the candidate for the
degree is responsible for creating the content of the work, even when the
advisor (especially in the sciences) may have had considerable input on the
direction of the research and framing of the results.  After all, graduate
degrees are occasionally revoked on the grounds of plagiarism.  The
term "auctor," in particular, may not mean the person who is responsible for
the content.  Bob's examples show nicely how the praeses may be responsible for
the content rather than simply being a presider over the disputation.  The
respondent's contributions may not have been recorded in the publication.

It would be nice if the footnote could be updated to include more recent works,
particularly if ones in English.  On the other hand, it is comforting to have a
reminder of the enduring value of some pieces of humanistic scholarship.

The JSC should not think that these dissertations are such a small problem left
over from the past that the rule can be ignored.  Penn had a collection of a
couple of hundred of these things on Biblical topics that were uncataloged that
I believe are still waiting for someone with some time, and these works also
tend to show up in microfilm (and probably increasingly digital) expressions.

I hope this is in time to be of some help.

Larry Creider
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces,