[DCRM-L] Relator terms

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Tue Dec 5 09:08:55 MST 2006

We do not use relator terms or codes in our records and strip them from
OCLC records we import to our local catalog.  I think this is unfortunate,
but the decision was made long ago.  Maybe we can re-visit it.  The
biggest users of relator codes, if not relator terms, however, seem to be
those cataloging sound recordings and videorecordings.  You might check
with OLAC.  I have certainly encountered a lot of relator codes and terms
in master records in OCLC when cataloging videorecordings as well as
special collections materials so I don't understand what your reviewer was
talking about.

In terms of the second question, we obviously don't use relator terms for
corporate bodies.  My only question about their use with corporate bodies
is how much purpose these serve.  If a corporate body is a printer, what
use is the relator term "printer" in organizing a file of names?  On the
other hand, if you have a cartulary of a convent as well as books owned by
the convent, then "former owner," might be appropriate.

Larry

Laurence S. Creider, Ph.D., M.S.L.S.
Head, General Cataloging Unit
New Mexico State University