[DCRM-L] DCRB Core

Windy Lundy windy.lundy at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 1 09:22:44 MST 2006

Deborah,

Thank you for noting and recommending my article.

For the past few days, I've been thinking about your question concerning
promotion of the DCRB Core standard.  I'm not sure how more can be done than
has already been done with the work of the Task Force that wrote the
standard, approval by the PCC, and the inclusion of the standard in the
appendix in DCRM(B).  The appendices of DCRM(B) are important and including
the core-level definition in Appendix C will give it additional prominence
and perhaps greater visibility to rare book catalogers than the PCC website.
The Books Core standard has had much acceptance, but in at least some cases
the decision to apply the Books Core as the default standard is an
administrative one.  I think application of the DCRB Core standard really is
a matter of cataloger's judgment.  If an administrative decision were made
to use a less-than-full-level standard for cataloging rare books, minimal
level is no longer the only option.  Even though I did not expect that a
huge number of DCRB Core records would be identified in the utilities, I had
hoped, for the sake of the analysis, that there would be more records than
there were.  Mostly, as I indicated, reasons for catalogers' use of the
standard were not clear to me.

I'm still thinking on your query about the 502 and 505.  Perhaps others have
comments about them.

Windy

****************
M. Winslow Lundy
Assistant Professor
Catalog Librarian
University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries
184 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309
phone: 303-492-3918
fax: 303-492-0494