[DCRM-L] Introduction comments

Sun Nov 19 09:31:17 MST 2006

Resolution: Mention of BIBCO has been eliminated from the text proper,
but a footnote has been added to both the core-level and full-level
sections on the obligation of BIBCO participants to establish all
headings in the LC/NACO Authority File.

DCRM(B) core level provides for faithful transcription and exact
physical description, a full complement of name headings, and at least
one subject heading, but requires few notes.[1] Core-level records may
be suitable for items or collections that carry enough bibliographical
or artifactual significance to benefit from detailed description and
controlled heading access, but for which the omission of most notes is
acceptable. For further information on creating DCRM(B) core-level
descriptions, see Appendix C.

DCRM(B) full level represents the normative application of these rules,
yet encompasses a range of potential levels of detail. Full-level
records provide for faithful transcription and detailed, complete
physical description. Although some notes are required (e.g., the source
of the title proper if not the title page), most are optional and can be
applied selectively depending on the nature of a collection or an
institution's needs. For example, signature statements, descriptions of
illustrative elements, names of illustrators and others responsible for
such elements, and particular attributes of the item in hand may be
included or omitted as desired.

Although treatment of headings is outside the scope of DCRM(B),
full-level records typically contain a full complement of name and
subject headings. In addition to those typically given to general
materials, DCRM(B) full-level records may contain headings for printers,
publishers, illustrators, engravers, former owners, binders, etc. The
name headings need not be established using authority records, although
full authority work, especially if contributed to the LC/NACO Authority
File, will result in greater consistency of headings and improved
access.[2]

__________________________________

[1] If an institution is a BIBCO participant contributing core-level
records as part of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), all
headings must be established in the LC/NACO and LC/SACO Authority Files.

2 If an institution is a BIBCO participant contributing full-level
records as part of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), all
headings must be established in the LC/NACO and LC/SACO Authority Files.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu