[DCRM-L] Area 8 & Appendix A comments

Sun Oct 1 23:24:52 MDT 2006

Thanks, Alex. This is a good question. Now that I look at it, I'm not
comfortable with referring to serials as "nonbook" formats, and notice
that DCRB did not include serials here. Comments welcome; to get the
ball rolling, I suggest changing from
A7. Nonbook formats
Do not apply the code "dcrmb" to records for nonbook materials such as
serials, maps, music, and graphics, even though they may have been
cataloged according to an adapted, "DCRM(B)-like" standard.

A7. Nontextual formats

Do not apply the code "dcrmb" to records for nonmonographic or
nontextual materials such as graphics, maps, music, and serials, even
though they may have been described according to an adapted,
"DCRM(B)-like" standard.*

*Use a DCRM component manual for the format being described if one
exists.

Or

*If describing rare music or serials, use the appropriate DCRM component
manual.

Our list of sources cited would then have DCRM(M) and DCRM(S).
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu