[DCRM-L] Area 1 DCRM(B)

Sun Oct 1 22:37:55 MDT 2006

Thanks, Joan. More below.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of J.P. Brigham
Sent: 12 September 2006 01:48
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Area 1 DCRM(B)

Comments on Area 1:

1A1.

Add boldface: "1A1. Prescribed punctuation[DJL]  Fixed

1A2.4.

Deborah, your editorial notes say you prefer "materials" over
"monographs" and this paragraph is titled "Multipart monographs." I
wasn't sure if you wanted to change it and as well the same phrase
within to "multipart materials" or not, but I thought I'd bring it to
your attention.[DJL]  Hmmm. That's a good one. I think we need to leave
this "monographs," though, because the rule is specific to monographs

1B1.1.

End of line 4: insert "bibliographic" to read "areas in the
bibliographic record (or"[DJL]  Agree that it needs changing, but
replaced "record" with "description," since the rule is speaking
specifically about the descriptive areas of the record.

1B2.

Remove "Indicate" and insert "Record"[DJL]  Changed to read "Make a note
on the source ..."

1B3.4.

Add "On" to "First page:" to read "On first page:" which will reflect
the form used in Area 0. While scanning down through Area 0 to see how
the source and transcription examples were handled as a reference for
this, I noticed that some example headings were italicized and some were
not, so that might need reviewing for consistency, for example: 0F2.1,
0G2.2, 0G2.3, 0G3.1, 0g3.4, 0G3.7 not italics; 0G3.5, 0G4.1, 0G4.2 in
italics. Someone else may well have already noted that.[DJL]  Changed
all example captions to italics.

1B5.

End of line 5: remove "Indicate" and insert "Record"[DJL]  Ok as is.

Further down: change the first 2 of 3 "Note:" to italics[DJL]  Fixed

1B6.

Line 5: replace "When" with "If"[DJL]  Changed

1C1.

Add boldface: "1C1. Order and source of parallel titles"[DJL]  Fixed

1E5.

Line 3: remove "generally" in "generally transcribe all the names
mentioned. Optionally, if the ..."

In my opinion it's unnecessary, and I didn't see it used elsewhere prior
to the O word when I quickly scanned except with D3.1/D3.2. If you
change 1E5, you may also want to remove it in D3.1. [DJL] Agree; removed
from both places

I sure like the Find tool for this editing - makes it much faster to
find words and phrases you want us to keep an eye out for.[DJL]  You
bet!

1F1.1

Add boldface: "By same person or body."[DJL] Fixed

1F2.1

Line 4: change "give" to "supply"[DJL]  Ok as is. Several people have
had problems interpreting how to choose between record, supply, and
give, possibly because the editorial checklist isn't fully explanatory.
"Record" is for arriving at a portion of the description governed by
precise rules, taken from the item itself, and in which another
cataloger would come up with exactly the same result. Pagination is the
classic example of "recording." "Supply" is used when the cataloger
interpolates or provides information from outside sources, whether her
own brain or a reference source. "Give" is for the places when
transcribe, record, or supply don't fit. The one place we expect to see
"give" used is when talking about notes. All this aside, since it isn't
necessary to fully understand the editors' choices on language in order
to apply DCRM(B), I hope the resulting rules are completely clear.

Use of "should" in:

1G3. line 4 perhaps could read: In general, apply this instruction only
when ...[DJL] Changed

1G7. line 5 perhaps could remain as is: "and it is impossible to decide
which side should be read first, ..."[DJL] Agree to leave as is, as this
use of "should" doesn't apply to the practice of cataloging

That's all I noted - congratulations once again to you and your
committee.[DJL]  Thanks!

Regards,

Joan Brigham

Seattle, WA