[DCRM-L] Area 8 & Appendix A comments

Fletcher, Jain jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 2 15:59:10 MDT 2006

Hi, I would just like to insert a note here to say that "A7" as it
currently stands is probably better (and safer).  As to referring to all
material other than books as "non-textual", don't forget that serials,
music and even maps often have much text associated with it.  Also
remember that material other than books fit the AACR definition of
"monograph".  Still, I believe that the asterisked phrase in Deborah's
suggested new text, however, would cover the elaboration that Alex seems
to be asking for (if I am understanding his point correctly).   So, how
about:

A7. Nonbook formats

Do not apply the code "dcrmb" to records for nonbook materials such as
serials, maps, music, and graphics, even though they may have been
cataloged according to an adapted, "DCRM(B)-like" standard.  Instead,
use a DCRM component manual for the format being described, if one
exists.

--Jain

Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575

v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu <mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can
have.

           --James Baldwin, writer (1924-987)