[DCRM-L] Title and Statement of Responsibility Area

David Woodruff dwoodruff at getty.edu
Sat Oct 7 16:44:09 MDT 2006

Most of the occurences of "grammatically inseparable" are fine, because
they deal with transposition. Three that deal with omission, where you
might consider substituting "grammatically necessary" for "grammatically
inseparable" are: 1A2.3 Omission of pious invocations, etc., 1A2.4
Multipart monographs, 1B4 Title proper with grammatically inseparable
designation. Though to be frank, I didn't consider the issue in relation
to these rules until I searched for them, probably because I know what
is meant.

I trust you're having a productive weekend!

>>> "Deborah J. Leslie" <DJLeslie at FOLGER.edu>  >>>
Ah, I'm getting it now! Thanks for explaining it further. You're
suggesting there we use both the concept and phrasing of "grammatically
inseparable" when discussing transposition, but to keep DCRB's
"grammatically necessary" when discussing what may be omitted. Is it
only in 1E8 that you are recommending using "grammatically necessary?"
Other thoughts?
D.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu