[DCRM-L] Citing the new ESTC

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Mon Oct 16 06:44:08 MDT 2006

I agree with Brian.  This may not be the last change in how we access
the ESTC.  We already have at least 3--RLIN, BL and STAR.  As Deborah
wrote, numbers are not static, so we really would need to put the
date accessed.  What about all the ESTC (RLIN) citations that are now
wrong?  ESTC is much simpler not only for inputting but for searching.

Jane

At 11:42 AM 10/16/2006 Monday+0100, Hillyard, Brian wrote:
>But I don't see that you could do a global change from ESTC (RLIN)
>to ESTC (BL) [or whatever] because that ignores the principle that
>the reference is correct only at the time when book and record are compared.
>
>Mirroring the CD-ROM and microfiche citations, the only satisfactory
>citation would be one giving the date when the book/record
>comparison was made ....  The advantage of specifying the resource
>would be as a rough way of indicating how long ago the reference was
>made.  But are most users going to have the background
>knowledge?  (If this is the intention, Standard Citation Forms
>should give dates for BLAISE, RLIN, etc. versions, which it doesn't.)
>
>Is it worth using anything other than unqualified "ESTC", at least
>for the online resources?  I don't know what archiving is in place,
>but I doubt that in most cases it would be possible to establish
>what the record was at the time.
>
>By the way, if we are prepared to do global changes from ESTC(RLIN)
>to ESTC(BL), is there any significance in these qualifications?  All
>we're really doing is telling our users where they can find
>these.  In that case it would be much better to stick to unqualified
>"ESTC" and thus avoid misleading users who see records with
>out-of-date qualifications.
>
>By the way, I'm full of admiration at all the effort that has gone
>into the final proofing of DCRM(B).
>
>Best wishes
>
>Brian

>Dr Brian Hillyard
>Rare Book Collections Manager
>National Library of Scotland
>George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW
>b.hillyard at nls.uk
>Tel: 0131-623 3889 (direct dial)
>Tel: 0131-623 3700 (main switchboard)
>Fax: 0131-623 3888

Jane Gillis | Rare Book Cataloger|  Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University | New Haven CT  06520
(203)432-2633 (voice) | (203)432-4047 (fax) | jane.gillis at yale.edu