[DCRM-L] Introduction comments

nschneider at nypl.org nschneider at nypl.org
Mon Sep 11 09:32:04 MDT 2006

Proofreading comments for Introduction.

Please note: I found some of the same problems and typos that Ryan
addressed in an earlier email. I've deleted those from this list.

Introduction:

1. On p. 9: List of contents: Intro 8 should read, "Intro 8. Examples and
notes"

3. On p. 10: "Intro 2.1." and "Intro 2.2." should be on separate line to
conform to layout?
4. On p. 13: "Intro 3.2.1.  ... distinguish clearly among different
manifestations of an expression or work" Cf. Ryan's notes on FRBR terms vs.
DCRM(B) language.
5. On p. 15: Reference to rules 4B3-4, 4 B8-12, 4E incorrect?

8. On p. 17: Reference to "see Intro 7"  under "'Optional note'" is
incorrect. Perhaps Intro 8.2. ?
9. On p. 20: Fourth paragraph, beginning, "Although treatment of
headings..." Re. Full-level cataloging: "The name headings need not be
established using authority records, although full authority work will
generally result in greater consistency of headings and improved access."
This in contrast to the Core-level which states that headings must be
established in the LC/NACO and SACO files.

Preliminaries:

Also: Although we weren't asked to comment upon the preliminary pages, I
found a couple of problems:

1. Table of Contents needs pagination
2. The leaf following the ToC [p. 4] is blank. Is this intentional?
3. On p. 7, with paragraph beginning, "Our thanks go, too, to the
Folger...", there is mention of images. When will these be added?
4. On p. 7, bottom line and continuing to first two lines of p. 8: the
names are italicized and out of sequence.

Nina Schneider
Librarian
Berg Collection of English & American Literature, Room 320
The New York Public Library
Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, NY  10018-2788

Tel.: (212) 642-0111