[DCRM-L] Introduction: question re: FRBR terms

Tue Sep 12 19:20:14 MDT 2006

I think you're right, Ryan, that work > expression > manifestation is
supposed to be a strict hierarchical progression. That wording, however,
has been that way from gamma (when it first appeared). I am vaguely
aware that the concept of expression has proven especially tricky as the
FRBR principles are being worked out. In any case, let me get in touch
with our local FRBR experts (all of whom happen to be on this list).
John and Annie-you wrote the original position paper for Group 6-and
Matthew, who goes around the world giving talks about FRBR, can you
verify the intention of the following first principle of DCRM
construction, which starts out:

Intro 3.1.1.  Users are able to distinguish clearly among different
manifestations of an expression or work

The ability to distinguish among different manifestations of an
expression or work is critical to the user tasks of identifying and
selecting bibliographic resources.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu