[DCRM-L] Aera 6

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Wed Sep 13 10:14:43 MDT 2006

Comments in addition to those already made:

The editorial checklist says to omit the comma before "if desired" at the
end of a sentence.  In area 6, the phrase is most often "if considered
important."  Should the comma be deleted prior to this phrase as well?  I
have to admit that I do not see the purpose for a comma here, but then
punctuation is not my strongest point.  If the commas should be deleted,
they appear in 6A2.3 (end of clause), 6A2.6, 6.C2, 6D2, 6E2.3, 6G2, 6G3.3,
6H3, and n. 15 to 6A2.1.

6A2.3, the statement in the rule "if it differs" is meaningless.  I think
you mean "if the two differ" or "if it differs from the statement on the
series title page."

6E.1 in the sentence: "If the statement of responsibility does not appear
in this position in the source, transpose it as needed," the antecedent of
"it" could easily (if nonsensically) be construed to be "source." How
about "transpose the statement as needed?"

6F, example, is there only one space following the comma and preceding the
ISSN?

Someone else may have mentioned it earlier, but the text following
the designation 6G3.2 needs to be "unbolded."

Larry

Laurence S. Creider, Ph.D., M.S.L.S.
Head, General Cataloging Unit
New Mexico State University