[DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

Tue Sep 19 19:59:44 MDT 2006

Good observations, Jim. Specific replies below.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of James Stephenson
	Sent: 12 September 2006 18:24
	To: 'DCRM Revision Group List'
	Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

	A few additional observations for Area 4:

	The final example following rule 4A6.1:  Shouldn't the name be
	transcribed as "Chas. Ellms" instead of "Cha's Ellms" (despite
what
	might be on the title-page)?[DJL]  No, not according to 0G3.2.
What we are trying to do in 0G3.2-4 is to indicate that punctuation
integral to a word is to be preserved in transcription, with the
exception of modernizing the form of the punctuation. Apostrophes and
hyphens in particular that punctuate a word are treated differently than
marks that punctuate a text, if that makes sense. A hyphen connecting a
compound word is integral to the word, as is an apostrophe, and they are
to be transcribed. A comma or semi-colon in the source used to make
sense of the text is a different matter, and may be used, changed, or
ignored with impunity.

	Final example under 4C2: add period to abbreviation "no. 4"[DJL]
You may be right, but I'd like to run that by the other editors and
anyone else facile with French. It's a French imprint, and I have a
vague sense that the French do not use a period when abbreviating
numero, and, we do not have a rule that says you have to add a period to
abbreviated words.

	4D2.5: make footnote number 12 superscript[DJL]  Fixed.

	Jim Stephenson
	Getty Research Institute