[DCRM-L] Area 2 comments

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 20 09:43:09 MDT 2006

I agree with Manon. This is a contents note, not a quotation. There is a
parallel example in 7B16.1. There is a difference between this note and,
for example:

         "First printing"--T.p. verso.

I don't think we can make a blanket statement that all quotation marks are
followed by double dashes. The informal contents note could just as easily
be constructed without the use of quotation marks, but it is often easier
and more accurate to quote the actual text than to either give it unquoted,
translate it into English, etc.

I think the meaning of the note would get muddy if we did something like:

         "Preface to the first edition"--P. 5-7. (and, yes, you would have
to capitalize the "P.")

This implies, to me, that the phrase "Preface to the first edition" spans
pages 5 through 7, which is obviously absurd. The way it is currently
written says clearly that there is a section entitled "Preface to the first
edition" that begins on p. 5 and ends on p. 7.

Randy