[DCRM-L] Area 2 comments

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Wed Sep 20 10:26:53 MDT 2006

The presence of the span of page numbers makes the meaning of the
note clear, to me at least.

And the fact that rule 2B5.2 is specifically talking about situations
when you *don't* transcribe an edition statement ("If the publication
contains *only* a statement that refers to another edition ... do not
transcribe the information as an edition statement and do not supply
an edition statement based on the information.") - this implies the
note isn't supporting an edition statement.

LCRI 2.7B18. "Contents" has examples of this kind of informal contents note:

500 ## $a "Life cycle of the liver fluke": leaves 75-89.
500 ## $a "Types of prayer wheels found in south central Tibet, by
Mei Lin": p. [310]-[375].

And here is the example in our own DCRM(B) rule 7B16.1:

"List of the author's unpublished poems": p. 151-158

The meaning of the note is actually crucial to determining which
punctuation is correct. We can't have a blanket statement that
anything in quotes should always to be followed by a dash because it
isn't true.

If this example is truly seen as problematic, then maybe we can deal
with it in the editorial comment? Something like this:

Optional note: "Preface to the first edition": p. 5-7
(Editorial comment: The publication is not the first edition; the
cataloger has opted to provide an informal contents note indicating
the publication contains the preface to the first edition)

-Manon

P.S. Randy is correct in his earlier posting that in a true quotation
note, the abbreviation for the single page number would be upper-case.