[DCRM-L] Quoted notes was Area 2 comments

Wed Sep 20 11:36:56 MDT 2006

No, I confess that I do not get the same inference from the format of
"Preface to the first edition"--P. 5-7 as does Randy. As far as I'm
aware, I've always treated words within quotation marks the same,
whether they're quoting the location of a string of words or indicating
the location of a section by its title.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu  |  202.675-0369  |  http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Will Evans
Sent: Wednesday, 20 September, 2006 13:01
To: 'DCRM Revision Group List'
Subject: [DCRM-L] Quoted notes was Area 2 comments

Mr. Brandt wrote:

  "Preface to the first edition"--P. 5-7. (and, yes, you would have
to capitalize the "P.")

This implies, to me, that the phrase "Preface to the first edition"
spans
pages 5 through 7, which is obviously absurd.

Does the format of the above quoted note have the same implication to
the
rest of the RBMS community as it does to Mr. Brandt? I'm afraid I use
this
format all the time. To me it implies text with the title "Preface to
the
first edition" can be found on p. 5-7.  Is this wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Will.