[DCRM-L] Quoted notes was Area 2 comments

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:18:04 MDT 2006

I've made the distinction between these two types
of notes for many years and, obviously, I agree
with Randy's assessment that changing the note as
has been suggested would imply that the phrase
itself appeared over a span of pages.

I've included snippets from various cataloging
standards and guidelines below, in the hopes that
it will help to resolve the issue (which I never
imagined would be so controversial!)

-Manon

====================================
CONTENTS NOTES:

MARC21, under 505$a:
500 ## $a"Table of statutes and regulations": p. xvii-xxv.
[Unformatted content note recorded in field 500.]

MARC21, under 504$a:
504 ## $a"Selected bibliography": v. 1, p. 351-358, v. 2, p. 234-236.

LCRI 2.7B18. "Contents":
500 ## $a "Life cycle of the liver fluke": leaves 75-89.
500 ## $a "Types of prayer wheels found in south
central Tibet, by Mei Lin": p. [310]-[375].

DCRB, 7C16 "Contents":
"List of the author's unpublished poems": p. 151-158

Finally, in the book "Notes in the catalog
record" by Jerry Saye and Sherry Vellucci, see
the *many* examples in the two sections on the
use of quoted titles in informal contents notes (p. 398 and p. 400).

QUOTATION NOTES:

MARC21, under 500$a:
500 ## $a"The first American Jewish weekly of its
kind"--The Jewish encyclopedia, v. 8.

AACR2, 1.7 "Quotations":
“A textbook for 6th form students”–Pref.
“Generally considered to be by William
Langland”–Oxford companion to English literature

DCRB, 7B3 Form of notes, "Quotations"
"Generally considered to be by William
Langland"--Harvey, P. Oxford companion to Engl. lit.
"The principal additional music, contained in 72
pages, may be had, half bound, with or without
the rules, price four shillings and ninepence"--Pref.

Many other examples are scattered throughout various rules....