[DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

James Stephenson JStephenson at getty.edu
Wed Sep 20 10:44:53 MDT 2006

Deborah--

> The final example following rule 4A6.1:  Shouldn't the name be
	transcribed as "Chas. Ellms" instead of "Cha's Ellms" (despite
what
	might be on the title-page)?[DJL]  No, not according to 0G3.2.

But that rule addresses cases where omission or inclusion does not lead
to ambiguity of meaning. It's clear from the examples that we're
transcribing the possessive forms of "Uncle Wiggly" and "Scotland," even
if the apostrophe is not present.  In 4A61, we're not transcribing the
possessive form of "Cha."

It seems that the use of an apostrophe in the example to 4A61 is
consistent with treatment called for in LCRI 1.0E, especially the
section on superscript characters.  Following those rules the common
Italian abbreviation "Serenis.mo" will be transcribed as "Serenismo."
when "mo" part is superscript (and, by implication, when it isn't).
Ditto the observation with "no 4," where the "o" is probably a
superscript character on the source.

	Jim Stephenson
	Getty Research Institute