[DCRM-L] Recording previous library location?

Wickenden Jane cat1 at inm.mod.uk
Wed Aug 1 09:57:27 MDT 2007

Katy

I am in a similar situation as the books I catalogue are a) on different
shelves from their previous homes b) from several different collections
anyway.

I use
1) the 037 'collection' field
2) a three-letter location code prefix (e.g. HAS for Haslar) in the 091
'previous classmark' field.

The prefix is not strictly called for, but where I have duplicates it
helps with deciphering previous shelf order.

These are not hidden fields, but I find that reducing the locations to a
code means that readers don't register them.  Ann's option is probably
cleaner, but I am working with a system that won't stretch to proper 852
<grrrr>

Hope that helps.

Jane

Mrs J.V.S. Wickenden, MA (Oxon) Dip.Lib.

Historic Collections Library

Institute of Naval Medicine

Alverstoke

Gosport