[DCRM-L] 752 indexing

Stephen R. Young stephen.young at yale.edu
Fri Aug 3 14:01:51 MDT 2007

Yale's system Voyager, a version of Endeavor, has a left-anchored
index in the staff mode for this "Hierarchical Place Name" field. In
the public mode the 752 is presumably searchable by general keyword
search. I do not know about costs, but I think it is simply a matter
of deciding what fields you want to set for indexing, and what you
want to call them.

At 01:47 PM 8/3/2007, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>A question for those of you using field 752 in catalog records for
>rare/special material--how is this field indexed at your institution?
>
>At my institution 752s are indexed as subjects, but I and others are
>wondering if this is the best choice. Our concern is that they
>generate noise in browse displays for genuine subject searches on
>geographic locations (this is not an issue in the bib record as the
>display constant "Place of publication" is generated). The most
>viable other index is perhaps that of author, but the noise
>potential is perhaps equal.
>
>In the notes from the last MARC for Special Collections meeting
>(thanks, Sarah!) I see "Some institution systems allow the 752 field
>to be indexed separately; this was viewed as quite helpful." I would
>love to hear more about this, especially re: cost and in particular
>from those working with Innovative.
>
>Ryan
>
>--
>Ryan Hildebrand, Special Collections and Archives Cataloger
>UCI Libraries, P.O. Box 19557
>University of California, Irvine, CA 92623-9557
>Telephone: (949) 824-2263 | Fax: (949) 824-2472

Stephen R. Young
Rare Book Team Leader
Catalog and Metadata Services
Sterling Memorial Library