[DCRM-L] 752 indexing

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 3 12:50:44 MDT 2007

UC Berkeley also indexes the 752 in its own index. To see how it works, go
to the UCB catalog, Pathfinder: http://sunsite5.berkeley.edu:8000/

Use "Advanced Search"
Using the drop down menu, select "Chronological Imprints" and enter a term

Berkeley's 752s are not under authority control, but we do take pains to
make sure that they  are entered using the authorized LC form of the name.

Since Pathfinder is a local interface to a local catalog (Gladis), I don't
know how transferrable this might be to a vendor-supplied system. But, it
works pretty well for us.

Randy

At 10:47 AM 8/3/2007, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>A question for those of you using field 752 in catalog records for
>rare/special material--how is this field indexed at your institution?
>
>At my institution 752s are indexed as subjects, but I and others are
>wondering if this is the best choice. Our concern is that they generate
>noise in browse displays for genuine subject searches on geographic
>locations (this is not an issue in the bib record as the display constant
>"Place of publication" is generated). The most viable other index is
>perhaps that of author, but the noise potential is perhaps equal.
>
>In the notes from the last MARC for Special Collections meeting (thanks,
>Sarah!) I see "Some institution systems allow the 752 field to be indexed
>separately; this was viewed as quite helpful." I would love to hear more
>about this, especially re: cost and in particular from those working with
>Innovative.
>
>Ryan
>
>--
>Ryan Hildebrand, Special Collections and Archives Cataloger
>UCI Libraries, P.O. Box 19557
>University of California, Irvine, CA 92623-9557
>Telephone: (949) 824-2263 | Fax: (949) 824-2472

Randal Brandt
Principal Cataloger
The Bancroft Library
(510) 643-2275