[DCRM-L] 752 indexing

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Aug 3 12:33:54 MDT 2007

Ryan,

In BYU's catalog they are in their own index. If you'd like to see it,
go to

catalog.lib.byu.edu

Click on other searches (in the column to the right);

Click on alphabetic search [recommended--you can also do keyword if you
like]

Enter a search term (e.g. France Paris)

Click the Place Name button.

By the way, we have placed 752 under authority control, so we can
display cross references (as you will see if you do the France Paris
search as an alphabetic search).

The 752 field is also indexed in the general keyword index for the
library catalog.

I agree with you I do not think it is a good idea to index 752 with
subjects.

Ours is a Sirsi system. I don't believe there was any cost associated
with creating the index or the authority format, except our own time
inputting the policies (which took a while at first but has required no
time since).

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602