[DCRM-L] Future of Bibliographic Control

at2186 at columbia.edu at2186 at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:05:18 MST 2007

Randy,

Congratulations to you, Larry, Nina and Deborah, for this rigorous
analysis and defense of maintaining high standards for bibliographic
control. I agree completely that there is no reason that technological
advances should lead us to downgrade the precision and structure of
our existing records and schemes in order to shave a few seconds off
undergraduate online searches.

A couple of notes--

--The first sentence of the comment on p.11 needs sharpening:
"Although a good idea, the amount of intellectual effort and physical
work saved by transferring descriptive metadata is not the basic cause
of the cost of
bibliographic control."

How about something like: "Descriptive metadata does not account for
most of the cost of bibliographic control, so although improved
sharing is a good idea, it will do little to reduce costs."

--Generally the response differentiates appropriately between the
Working Group and LC, but this breaks down somewhat in some of the
later points, notably in the first use of "LC" in the comment for p.
27, para.3 and the "LC" in the comment on p. 28 4.1.2.1. It wouldn't
hurt to look over the response and ask if all comments are directed at
this specific report of the WG, a group of non-LC experts, rather than
to LC. LC commissioned the group, and is the subject of some of the
report, but is not the author of the report, right?

thanks for taking this task on--
Alex