[DCRM-L] Future of Bibliographic Control

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Thu Dec 13 16:12:53 MST 2007

I have a few comments that I was unable to get to Randy before the draft
went out to DCRM-L, and I have been out of commission the past two days.
My e-mail system doesn't seem to want to send this reply to anyone but the
whole list, so here goes.  I have interspersed a few comments on the draft
below.  I apologize for not getting these out earlier.

Larry Creider

--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, General Cataloging Unit &
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu

On Tue, December 11, 2007 3:01 pm, Randal Brandt wrote:
> [...]
> central themes within this report.
>
> The Bibliographic Standards Committee strongly agrees that, indeed, there
> are many institutions and organizations that have the expertise and
> capacity to step forward and play significant roles in the bibliographic
> future. Only if we are allowed and encouraged to do so will this be
> successful.
>
> Although the Bibliographic Standards Committee is most interested in the
> second theme of the report relating to the exposure of rare and unique
> materials, we realize the recommendations of the entire report will impact
> rare book and special collection repositories just as significantly.
>
> What follows are specific comments on many aspects of the report.
>
> In general, the report ignores the impact of the vast quantity of
> materials
> on the Web and the issues of selection and providing access to them,
> except
> by talking indirectly about making use of metadata.
>
> Page 6: It is gratifying to see that the Library of Congress has learned
> that announcing major changes to the library community without advance
> preparation, as happened with their series decision, is not the way to
> introduce change. The ability of the cataloging community, together with
> OCLC, to discover ways to cope with that decision is an indication that
> the
> Library of Congress can indeed rest easy in the knowledge that there are
> organizations and institutions who are willing to step forward and
> volunteer their expertise in cataloging standards.
>
> Page 7, Paragraph 2: The Bibliographic Standards Committee agrees that
> users would be better served if access to a variety of materials were
> provided in the context of a unified philosophy of bibliographic control.
> Unfortunately, this desire is most likely impossible to realize given the
> commoditization of information and proprietary considerations.
>
> Page 7, Paragraph 3: The Bibliographic Standards Committee strongly
> disagrees with the statement that "Consistency of description within any
> single environment, such as the library catalog, is becoming less
> significant than the ability to make connections between environments."
> Both are important; minor inconsistencies are tolerable both within and
> between databases. Major inconsistencies need to be remedied lest they
> result in chaos. Introducing a database with no authority control into one
> with authority control eliminates any authority control and adequate
> precision or recall in both databases.
>
> Page 7, Paragraph 4: What is meant by "cataloging?" Perhaps this needs
> redefinition as much as "bibliographic control." It is "necessary to
> embrace a view of bibliographic control as a distributed activity, not a
> centralized one." Fortunately, this has been happening for a few years
> thanks to the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) and OCLC's master

Insert after the second sentence?  The "WG seems to use "cataloging" to
denote everything that is outdated and "bibliographic control" to denote
all that is new and good."

> Page 8, Paragraph 1: The Bibliographic Standards Committee is very worried
> that the Working Group accepts the commoditization of information without
> nod to the notion of information as a public good. Does this mean that the
> Library of Congress will begin charging for its services? Should we expect
> to see pop-up ads on Classification Web in the near future? Are the
> nation's public libraries a target for mergers and acquisitions?

I think the last sentence goes over the top.  The other sentences make the
point adequately and with some degree of possibility.

> Page 9-10: Redefining the Role of the Library of Congress. As mentioned
> earlier, the Bibliographic Standards Committee agrees that LC might want
> reconsider its responsibilities to the nation's libraries. There are many
> experts in public, academic, and special libraries that would be willing
> work with LC to create partnerships and opportunities to improve the
> universe of bibliographic control. This will be a new world for LC and a
> learning experience for all involved, but a public recognition that the
> locus of expertise has given way to many loci is necessary. As LC is
> aware,
> the Bibliographic Standards Committee is very involved in the creation and
> maintenance of standards for the rare materials community. The
> Bibliographic Standards Committee is willing to share its expertise and
> expects that LC recognizes its expertise and willingness to share it.

I believe this sentence is gratuitous and possibly needlessly offensive.
LC has a tradition of recognizing the expertise of BSC and cooperating
with the group.

> [...]
>
> Page 11, Section 1.1: Eliminating Redundancies. Although a good idea, the
> amount of intellectual effort and physical work saved by transferring
> descriptive metadata is not the basic cause of the cost of bibliographic
> control. Even classification could be more automated than it currently is.
> The real, barely reducible, cost comes with controlling names, titles, and
> subjects.
>
> Page 13-14, Section 1.2: Copy cataloging and loading of LC authority files
> are not the only reasons that libraries have reduced staff. Budget
> cutbacks
> and lack of qualified professionals, as well as the soaring costs of the
> materials and licensing should also be considered.
>
> Page 15: Overall, the Bibliographic Standards Committee agrees with
> Recommendations 1.2.1.1-1.2.1.3. LC could make better use of PCC-produced
> data. If the recommendations in 1.2.2 to examine original cataloging
> programs and sub-programs at the Library of Congress are to work, LC will
> need to do a better job than it has in the past of identifying and working
> with other entities. As mentioned above, LC will need to explicitly
> abdicate from the library community's expectation that it is THE source of
> knowledge in these areas and direct some inquiries to other institutions
> or
> groups.
>
> Page 16: Recommendations 1.2.3 and 1.2.4. The problem is not simply the
> number of PCC participants; the problem is with institutional barriers to
> expansion of PCC participation. For example, when NACO and BIBCO
> catalogers
> move from libraries where they have been trained in NACO and BIBCO
> procedures and made contributions to libraries that are not members, their
> expertise is lost. The Bibliographic Standards Committee also recognizes
> that libraries need to expand the number of certified librarians within
> their institutions. NACO certification, and perhaps BIBCO certification,
> should be attached to catalogers and transferable with the cataloger.
> There
> should be investigation of ways OCLC can encourage small, specialized
> libraries, to achieve Enhance status, which is necessary for BIBCO
> membership. OCLC in particular should consider amending its loading
> algorithms and rewards for upgrades and corrections to avoid M-level
> records with 20 libraries attached whose catalogers have done work in
> their
> local catalogs but found it too time-consuming to make the changes in the
> "master record."
>
> Page 16-19, Section 1.3: The section of collaborating in authority record
> creation is excellent, particularly in its recognition of the inescapable
> amount of human intellectual effort that is devoted to authority work. A
> great deal could be done here by making participation in cooperative
> authority processes easier, as mentioned above.

How about "section on collaboration?"

> Page 18: Again, the Bibliographic Standards Committee is willing to work
> with LC to increase collaboration on authority data and controlled
> vocabularies.
>
> Page 19-21: Enhance Access to Rare and Unique Materials. On the whole,
> this
> is an excellent section. Some things might be added. First is that
> increasing cooperative collection development by research libraries will
> mean that more current material, particularly from foreign countries, will
> become "rare" and require original cataloging because no one else holds
> these materials. Research libraries need to commit to the fact that
> creating unique collections will require more resources for bibliographic
> control of those materials.
>
> Page 20, Recommendation 2.1: Rare book and special collection repositories
> have recognized the need to make the discovery of their materials
> possible.
> The Bibliographic Standards Committee has gone a long way towards this
> goal
> in codifying rules and emphasizing access to a greater number of items and
> empathizes with LC in prioritizing these materials.

I would like to say "codifying rules in different formats" rather than
just "codifying rules."  The need to provide access to non-traditional
rare materials is part of the theme of this section.

> [...]
> bibliographies, printed catalogs, microfilm, etc. The difference is that
> at
> one time, researchers had to travel to different institutions or use
> different machines. Most of this can now be done from one computer, which
> gives the illusion that these resources should all work the same way.
> Unified searching may be an unattainable goal.
>
> Page 27, Paragraph 2: The report's assertion that library users value
> features and data that help them make sense of results by ranking,
> organizing, and clustering, may or may not be true. Recall and precision
> of
> results is just as important, if not more so.
>
> Page 27, Paragraph 3: It is very disturbing to learn that LC considers
> that
> a library catalog should be designed to ingest or interact with records
> from sources outside of the library cataloging workflow. Unless there are
> stringent guidelines and intense oversight, any idea of authority control
> or standards will be negated. If LC is concerned with the overwhelming
> responsibility and staffing issues of updating and maintaining its
> records,
> this would indeed be foolhardy decision. Rather, LC should consider an
> alternative, using its catalog as a base, but leaving the integrity of its
> catalog intact.
>
> Page 27, Paragraph 4: "Many libraries have chosen to produce metadata to
> satisfy the needs of their most sophisticated users, despite the fact that
> such users are but a small percentage of their total user base. They do so
> under the increasingly dubious assumption that all users will benefit from
> the greatest detail in cataloging." This statement contradicts the whole
> tenor of Recommendation 2 and promulgates an atmosphere of
> anti-intellectualism. Ideally, we, as information professionals and
> librarians, should encourage discovery and deeper understanding in
> everyone
> who makes use of a library. Nevertheless, the fact is that discoveries and
> research are made by the small number of users who make intensive use of
> primary sources and secondary literature. This is as true of scientists as
> of humanists. Such intensive use of information requires complex tools to
> study the very complex reality we live in. What is required in the library
> catalog is detail sufficient to distinguish resources so that the user may
> discover and select them. The larger the database, the more sophisticated
> the user, the more detail may be required.
>
> Page 28, Recommendation 4.1.2.1: It is reassuring to see that LC
> recognizes
> the importance of maintaining the "integrity of library-created data."
>
> Page 28, Recommendation 4.1.3.1: Algorithms need to go a long way before
> they are useful in suggesting works that might be useful to patrons. Their
> algorithms fail to distinguish between scholarly and popular material.

The last sentence would be clearer if it read something like, "For
example, commercial search engine algorithms fail to distinguish between
popular and scholarly material."

> [...]
> the report adopts, such as recasting LCSH in a hierarchical structure. The
> cataloging rules are part of RDA. In the report, the WG calls for the
> suspension of work on rules that will support the creation of authority
> records using FRBR, but then attack the FRBR model for not having such
> cataloging rules. The real problem will be finding the resources to apply
> FRBR retrospectively and to materials whose metadata is inadequate for any
> but the most basic purposes.
>
> Page 29, Recommendation 4.2.1.3: There are at least as many problems with
> the concept of Manifestation as Expression. Nonetheless, the fact that
> these determinations are flexible and subject to development as
> scholarship
> intensifies on a particular group of Works, with the related Expressions
> and Manifestations, allows for the model to stay alive.
>
> Page 30, Recommendation 4.3: Although the Bibliographic Standards
> Committee
> is particularly interested in description, subject access is an important
> aspect of discovery. This section, and the diagnosis of problems, ignores
> the basic fact that LCSH is complex because reality is complex. Navigating
> the thesaurus and the Subject Cataloging Manual is difficult, but so too
> is
> describing the world of knowledge. Any attempt to do justice to a
> resource's subject is bound to be difficult. The length of LCSH strings is
> more a problem of catalog displays. Oddly, LCSH strings are quite useful
> for keyword searching which can then allow retrieval of other items with
> the same or similar subject strings. LCSH is not, and should not be,
> designed for novices. Such individuals are best served by starting with a
> keyword search and then building on the subject headings or bibliographies
> to find other materials.
>
> Page 31, Recommendation 4.3.2: De-coupling of strings is possible, but
> hardly necessary when keyword searching of subject strings is so
> effective.
>
> Page 32, Recommendation 4.3.3.2: "Apply terms from any and all appropriate
> sources of controlled subject headings in bibliographic records to augment
> subject access." How does this fit in with the streamlining mentioned in
> Recommendation 1? How does this reduce the cost of cataloging? How will it
> help the user?
>
> Page 32: The Desired Outcomes do not flow from the recommendations. The
> result of the recommendations on LCSH will be more complex subject
> analysis, not less, and certainly not more intuitive. It will not be
> easier
> to update and to apply. Terminology may be more current but certainly not
> more consistent. The application of the recommendations will require
> substantial resources that may or may not be justified. Rather than test
> FRBR, the recommendations concerning LCSH should be tested for feasibility
> and user benefits before they are put into practice.

For clarification,  the first sentence should say, "The Desired Outcomes
for section 4.3 do not flow from the recommendations."

> Page 35, Recommendation 5.2.1.2: This recommendation is excellent, but
> until libraries make clear that there is a demand for graduates with these
> skills and that cataloging and bibliographic control are the backbone of a
> library, the recommendation will languish.
>
> Above all, there needs to be a commitment on the part of the institutions
> involved to invest in the expertise required for control of these items:
> technical knowledge of papers, bindings, printing and photographic
> processes, reproduction technologies, languages, scripts, subject
> expertise
> in areas ranging from chemistry to denominational schisms, as well as
> electronic systems, encoding schemes, and programming ability. Only if
> institutions are willing to value this expertise will there be the
> necessary personnel to realize these outcomes. In this report, the Working
> Group never really commits itself to the notion that no matter how many
> shortcuts can be found, how much electronic manipulation of metadata is
> done, libraries will still have substantial investments in the human
> aspects of bibliographic control. Until this fact is recognized, they will
> not be able to make the changes that will lead to effective implementation
> of the recommendations, let alone implement some of the others that are
> needed.

Last sentence would be clearer if "they" were replaced by "libraries."