[DCRM-L] Oops on digraphs

Thu Dec 20 10:14:19 MST 2007

		As far as we can discover, AACR2 gives no guidance on
digraphs. (One of us thought she had found an AACR2 instruction to
separate all ligatures, but now cannot find it and wonders if she
imagined it.)

The above excerpt is from a message I wrote to DCRM-L on 22 Feb. 2005,
the first of a thread entitled "Reconsidering digraphs." I of course am
the "she" referred to and persist in my old tricks.

Richard Noble is right: we are now left with no AACR2 or LCRI guidance
on what to do with digraphs.  For DCRM(B), we will use the rules there
that correspond with the old LCRI. But for modern books? I want to tell
my cataloger-in-training to separate an AE digraph in a Latin word, but
on what grounds?
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library