[DCRM-L] Comments please: Subfield $5

David Woodruff DWoodruff at getty.edu
Mon Jan 8 20:31:01 MST 2007

I occasionally wish I could use a subject heading in a record for a copy
of a book that includes an extra print, not part of the work as
published. This is particularly true when I don't know the name of the
maker or the title of the print. Thus for an added engraving of the
Nativity, I could provide at least some access by applying: 600 00 Jesus
Christ--Nativity--Art.$5---, together with the 655 form/genre heading
for: Engravings.$5---.
This sort of copy-specific situation is quite different from what the
Germans are concerned with, and it would be neater to have separate
fields for them. But it might not cause intolerable confusion to define
$5 for both cases: a copy-specific heading would be supported by an
explanatory 590 note, and American libraries might decide not to make
heavy use of $5 in the German sense.