[DCRM-L] Comments please: Subfield $5

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Mon Jan 8 21:17:59 MST 2007

1. For some of our comprehensive author collections we add analytic entries to books containing, e.g., a short story by the author. I think in most such cases we mark our analytic 7XX field with subfield 5 to note that this field is specific to our institution and that others probably are not interested. In those cases we might want to add subject headings specific to the analytic entry but which would not be appropriate to the work as a whole because they are too specific, and therefore no one copying our record would want to use them, so it would be nice to be able to mark the subject headings as "local" by using subfield 5.  At least I can see that might be one reason to allow the subfield. I see this as parallel to marking the 7XX field for the analytic as local.

Weighing in on question 2-3, I don't like the idea of using subfield 5 to mean something else than "local" and I think the proposal is something different. I think the concepts should be kept separate. (I'm not sure I understand why the Germans want this by the way, though if they do want to be able to do this, I think that's fine--but any clue as to their thinking, John? Why stop at subject headings? Why not be able to mark every part of the record you added so you would know exactly who did which iota of the record?)

Bob