[DCRM-L] Subfield $5 / Several cataloguing questions

Karen Nipps nipps at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 10 07:36:35 MST 2007

Well, David (Woodruff) and Katy (Rawdon-Faucett), when you asked these
innocent questions, did you ever imagine such a multi-faceted
response?!?! Just goes to show that cataloging really IS an art (if also
a science).

And this is why I so rarely weigh in on these sorts of issues. So very
much depends on institutional practice, local system operations, and
individual interpretations. It has, for instance, been my experience,
that the larger and more complex the organization, the more cautious one
has to be about making one's records work ONLY for one's own
constituents. This is increasingly becoming the case as OCLC retools
itself as the single on-line national union catalog and Ex-Libris seems
to be attempting to swallow up the entire international library software
community.

However, in this case, I am going to voice an opinion and agree with
Nina and Richard on the 650 score, largely because MARC21, as Nina
points out, directly says using a subfield 5 is permissible under the
defined circumstances. For those of us who load records into OCLC, this
is in fact why the subfield 5 is so important, as it is a way to strip
local headings out of exported records.

As for the 500 / 590 issue, it is dangerous to assume that most
institutions out there use 590s. But whether you do or don't, IMHO, it
doesn't matter that much - what is important is the language you use
when inserting your note. And this is where the "art" bit comes in. My
simple (!) advice is use as much language as it necessary to
contextualize your own copy and to justify any added entries you make.
More is better - but too much is worse! :) Granted, if you are bound by
space limitations (either electronic or paper), that advice must itself
be qualified ...

The 692 field is a local field (all X90s are). It is Yale's choice to
use it. At Houghton, the use of X90s in bibliographic records for
printed material is strictly forbotten. (Not true of other parts of
Harvard.) Rather, a note is made in the 561 in the holdings record
describing the inscription and a 700 is made in the bibliographic record
with subfield "e"s and "5"s  added.

Hope this rambling helps! - Karen

--
Karen Nipps, Senior Rare Book Cataloger