[DCRM-L] Subfield $5 / Several cataloguing questions

Katy Rawdon-Faucett krawdon at barnesfoundation.org
Wed Jan 10 12:22:34 MST 2007

I wasn't sure what the response to my original email would be, but I
have to say that I am thrilled with the helpful suggestions I have
received, as well as the very interesting overall discussion. Many of my
questions have been answered to my satisfaction, but many others have
been raised.

I think part of what makes this all so interesting is, in fact, the
issue of institutional practice. I have received very different and even
contradictory responses, but they are all backed up by sound, local
reasoning. Now I "just" have to decide what our own practice will be,
and why...

The issue of OCLC is one that I keep coming back to as I read messages
on this list. Aside from my own personal misgivings about OCLC as the
single national catalogue, it also affects our cataloguing decisions. We
are currently not a member of OCLC and do not submit records, but I have
no doubt that will change sometime in the future. Do we want to record
our copy-specific notes on inscriptions, ownership, etc. in field that
may upload to OCLC? Is that appropriate? My instinct is to keep
copy-specific notes in fields which would display only in our own system
(or use a subfield 5 and have them stripped out). But is that then
removing information that might be useful to a researcher? Because I do
not regularly use or catalogue for OCLC, I do not have a real sense of
what is expected, or approved of, or what is "normal" practice. I have a
general feeling that I am missing something... Or perhaps the whole
OCLC/RLIN issue really is just that confusing.

(And speaking of library software, we are in the process of seeking out
a new system ourselves. If anyone wants to share advice,
recommendations, battle stories, etc. - off list, maybe? - I would be
grateful).

-Katy

____________________
Katy Rawdon-Faucett