[DCRM-L] Comments please: Subfield $5 - copy specific notes

Mon Jan 15 08:12:35 MST 2007

E.C. makes a good point. Many of you have heard me say this: we at the Folger use redundant copy note fields, and it's a little more complex than I suggested by saying that we use a 590.

RLIN: we use a 590, with preface "Folger copy:"

Hamnet (our local Voyager system): in the bibliographic record, we use 876$z to contain copy-specific notes. This field is set NOT TO DISPLAY, but it IS KEYWORD INDEXED.

In the holdings record, we have a redundant 876$z, which IS SET TO DISPLAY. We have designed the 876 to produce a "Folger copy" label in our local display. The contents of the note is keyword-searchable, because it also exists in the bibliographic record. Not perfect, but it works pretty well for now ... until our local systems evolve to the point that they can get all holdings information displayed and indexed--and this includes headings that pertain only to the copy.

For an example in Hamnet, see http://shakespeare.folger.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=163897
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of CatalogingFolger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, DC 20003
202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu

________________________________

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu on behalf of E. C. Schroeder
Sent: Mon 2007-01-15 09:21
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Comments please: Subfield $5 - copy specific notes

I'm only now catching up on reading this thread.  One new twist on where to
include copy specific notes is to input them as a |z note in the 852 field
of the holdings record.  At Yale, the main catalog department has started
to do this for some of its records.  In particular this is done for bound
with notes and links to digitized versions.

At this time Beinecke has continued to use the 590 field, and will
continued to do so for the forseeable future.

E.C. Schroeder