[DCRM-L] Collated & Perfect

Carol Fink cfink2 at michigan.gov
Wed Jul 18 07:18:18 MDT 2007

The Library of Michigan creates copy specific information in a 590 note
with the statement beginning, LM copy #: and then everything pertinent
to that copy. We stopped creating a 500 signature note when we merged
our catalog with Michigan State's. After several instances of a new
record overlaying ours and our copy specific information just
disappearing, we started putting everything in a 590. The system is set
up to retain all 590 notes, but not to protect all 500 notes.

The information is aimed at staff and at researchers who want to know
what might be different about our copy. We've been asked more than once
about a copy's binding or no. of plates and it's quicker to look at the
catalog record instead of retrieve the piece.

I don't know about any legal protections such a note would provide but
I want to know how many plates, maps, etc. were in the book the day we
acquired it.

The 590 does not appear in OCLC master records so subsequent use does
not require deleting the information.
Carol Fink
Library of Michigan

>>> edwin.schroeder at yale.edu 7/16/2007 1:37 PM >>>

I would like to go back to Deborah's original statement.  Who would
such a
note be aimed at?  I'm not certain that making such a note would make
much
difference in a court of law, and would want to confirm its value.  If
it
is for "internal" purposes, then it is possible to perhaps add such a
note
in either a 9XX field or perhaps as part of the holdings record, but in
non-public field.

Jane has been doing something comparable for Beinecke's serial records
as
we gradually work through the recon records.  I believe she puts such a

note in the holdings record.

E.C. Schroeder

P.S.  Jane, aren't you busy at RBS?

255-9524