[DCRM-L] Re: DCRM(B) nonroman signatures

Joseph Ross jross at nd.edu
Thu Jun 7 12:22:42 MDT 2007

Bruce,

I have all of those fonts already installed  on my computer.

The reason why I am not seeing the Greek and Hebrew characters is
because you are using a non-unicode font for the Greek and Hebrew.  I
have my browsers set to ignore fonts specified on web pages because I
use specific unicode fonts that work best with our library catalog. They
are large unicode fonts that include Greek, Hebrew, and Cyrillic.  The
non-unicode Greek font you are using has mapped the omega character to
the w key so if I look at it with a unicode font, such as Arial Unicode
or even Times New Roman, I won't see omega but w.

Using any unicode font that has Greek would seem to be a better solution
to it because these are just standard Greek letters that are in most
unicode fonts.  Then the text would not be font dependent.

The same is true of the Hebrew.  Even Times New Roman would have worked
for the characters we are using here.  Why are non-unicode fonts used to
display these characters?

If you are going to use these fonts, somewhere I think you need to
indicate to users that they can only see the text if they have those
fonts and if they tell the browser not to ignore web-specified fonts.
Wouldn't it be easier to use Times New Roman, which is standard with
windows rather than the non-unicode Greek and Hebrew fonts that you are
now using?

Joe Ross