[DCRM-L] dcrmb &c.

Barry E. Hinman bhinman at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 15 11:47:19 MDT 2007

Deborah is too polite to say so, but the information about the code is
found on p. 151 of the book [as I found after being one of the first,
probably, to fling this question at her].

Comment on 1A2.2. [p. 47]: I wonder if something fell out here.  Deborah
already sent a message saying that she thought that she remembered
something specific being said about privileges, and I had an exchange of
emails with her and with Brian Hilliard which left me with the
impression that something specific was going to be said about
dedications.  Specifically, when a dedication is embedded in the title,
it seems obvious that it would either be transcribed, or, if omitted,
that one would use the marks of omission.  But the reference here is to
0G5.2, which says not to use the marks of omission, and refers you back
here for a further description of what "constitutes neither title
information nor a statement of responsibility."

It is clear that the whole thrust of the new rules is to transcribe what
is there [cf., for example, 4C2, p. 88, where the rule about omitting
statements such as Printer to the King and addresses is removed and the
examples show a much fuller transcription], and that would seem to apply
to dedications certainly, to privileges if you consider them a part of
the imprint area, and even perhaps to prices.

--
Barry E. Hinman
Special Collections Librarian for Cataloging
bhinman at stanford.edu