[DCRM-L] FW: form/genre program at ALA

Tue May 22 09:48:03 MDT 2007

With apologies for redundancy.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu  |  202.675-0369  |  http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:PCCLIST at loc.gov] On
Behalf Of Gregory James Wool
Sent: Monday, 21 May, 2007 21:12
To: PCCLIST at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV
Subject: form/genre program at ALA

Please join us at the ALA Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. on
Saturday, June 23 from 1:30-3:30 PM for a panel discussion on
"Form/Genre
Headings: Where We Are, Where Are We Heading, Where We Want to Be".  The
speakers will be Robert Maxwell from Brigham Young University, Adam
Schiff
from the University of Washington, and Geraldine Ostrove from the
Library of
Congress.  The program will be held in the Washington Convention Center,
Room 151A.

Robert Maxwell will provide the context for form/genre headings
(including a
brief explanation of authority records for form/genre headings, and the
mix
of form and topic in current 150 headings in LCSH).

Geraldine Ostrove will address the use of authority records coded 155
for
music headings and the conversion of corresponding subject headings in
bibliographic records from 650 fields to 655 fields and the importance
of
this change for music.

Adam Schiff will discuss what has been done with form/genre headings at
the
University of Washington, and the impact of using them (i.e. in
indexing).

Sponsored by the ALCTS CCS Subject Analysis Committee.

Gregory J. Wool
Associate Professor/Monographs Cataloger
Iowa State University Library
Ames, Iowa 50011-2140
voice: 515/294-5774
fax: 515/294-5525