[DCRM-L] FW: AAT

Wed Nov 7 10:22:26 MST 2007

Those who have noticed the richness of AAT terms for archival and manuscript materials, especially vis-à-vis the RBMS thesauri, will be interested in this explanation from Patricia Harpring.

__________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
202.675-0369
djleslie at folger.edu | http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Harpring [mailto:PHarpring at getty.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, 07 November, 2007 10:14
To: Deborah J. Leslie
Subject: RE: AAT

Dear Deborah,

<...>
I did not actually realize that we had more AAT terms for manuscripts than the RBMS thesauri. That area of the AAT is rich because past contributors to the AAT, including the Getty Museum, have strong manuscript collections, and thus asked for - or contributed themselves - terminology to index these works. You can read a description of the scope of the AAT on the "About page"  http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/aat/about.html#scope and  in our editorial manual , this chapter  http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/guidelines/aat_1_contents_intro.html#1_1 . Basically, if it is not a proper name and you need it to catalog art (including manuscripts), it is within scope of the AAT.

<...>
Sincerely,

Patricia

Patricia Harpring, PhD