[DCRM-L] Creating New records?

Margaret Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:18:46 MDT 2007

If the books are bibliographically identical (including pagination),
we put them on the same record, with copy-specific notes to
distinguish them. We used to make separate records for the paperback
and the hardcover, but in the OPAC it's just confusing to see them
both in the index display, where they look just the same.

Margaret

At 03:56 PM 10/17/2007, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I must be having a senior moment, but I would like some advice on a
>problem you have all encountered many times.  We have a paperback
>copy of a book by a New Mexico author in Special Collections.  We
>were given a copy of the hardback version (same date, 1 less page)
>with dj and signed by the author.  I know better than to create a
>new OCLC record, but what do folks do in their local systems?  Do
>you make copy-specific notes or do you make a second record on your
>local system for the variant?  Thanks.
>
>Feeling rusty,
>Larry
>
>Laurence S. Creider
>Head, General Cataloging Unit &
>Special Collections Librarian
>New Mexico State University
>Las Cruces, NM  88003
>Work: 505-646-4707, 505-646-7227
>Fax: 505-646-7477
>lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu

Margaret Nichols
Head, Special Collections Materials Unit
Library Technical Services
110 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY. 14853-5302