[DCRM-L] Creating New records?

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:53:41 MDT 2007

We use a single record for the trade paperback and the trade hardback in
this situation IF the pagination and layout are the same, i.e., it's
essentially the same text block, just the binding is different. (The
ISBN is usually different, and the size usually differs slightly.) We
would make a new record if there was an explicit statement (e.g. "Trade
paperback edition").

I draw your attention to LCRI 1.0 under "Edition or Copy of Monograph":

Whenever the question relates to the publication, distribution, etc.,
area or to ISBNs, consider that the item is a copy if the only variation
is one or more of the following:
1) a difference in the printing or copyright date when there is also a
publication date;
2) a minor variation in an entity's name. There are relatively few
examples of this phenomenon, which arises when a publisher uses multiple
forms concurrently. For example, "Duckworth" and "G. Duckworth" and "St.
Martin's" and "St. Martin's Press" have been used at the same time by
these publishers. A genuine name change, even if minor, should not be
considered as a variation;
3) the addition, deletion, or change of an ISBN;
4) a difference in binding; or,
5) a difference in the edition statement or the series whenever the item
is a CIP book issued by the publisher in both a hardbound and a
softbound version.

I agree with Margaret, having more than one record for hardback vs.
paperback is confusing in the OPAC display when the records look
identical.

Your book, Larry, appears to have a different pagination from the
hardback, though. Wouldn't that trigger a new record, both in OCLC and
in the local catalog? Or is the "one less page" an unnumbered leaf at
the end or something?

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

On
> Behalf Of Laurence Creider
> Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:56 PM
> To: DCRM Revision Group List
> Subject: [DCRM-L] Creating New records?
>
> Folks,
>
> I must be having a senior moment, but I would like some advice on a
> problem you have all encountered many times.  We have a paperback copy
> of
> a book by a New Mexico author in Special Collections.  We were given a
> copy of the hardback version (same date, 1 less page) with dj and
> signed
> by the author.  I know better than to create a new OCLC record, but
> what
> do folks do in their local systems?  Do you make copy-specific notes
or
> do
> you make a second record on your local system for the variant?
Thanks.