[DCRM-L] Citing ESTC

Jeff Barton jbarton at brooklynhistory.org
Thu Sep 6 12:32:09 MDT 2007

Apart from dictionary citations (all which I've seen now using 'online,' as
others have pointed put), I think the general historical trend in actual
usage has been from 'on-line' to 'online.'  In the anciente dayes of the
90s, I remember sometimes seeing both on-line and online, but the hyphen
gave way as the term became more mainstream (along the same lines as
website, web-site, web site, but online is probably more universally
accepted than website.)

Jeff Barton
Manager of the Library  (former online, not on-line, editor)
The Brooklyn Historical Society
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718-222-4111 x292